30 May 2014

Press Release:PRESIDENT KUFUOR AND NANNA AKUFFO ADDO HAVE A VERY GOOD RELATIONSHIP.


My attention has been drawn to ongoing media reportage and commentary being made by some members of the New Patriotic Party, and, unsurprisingly, by our political opponents to the effect there is a fractured relationship between President John Agyekum Kufuor and myself.
The allegations that are making the rounds include the fact that President Kufuor did not support my presidential bids in 2008 and in 2012, and is also not in support of my bid to lead the party into the 2016 general elections, amongst others.

I would like to place on record that these allegations, pointing to an unhealthy relationship between President Kufuor and myself, are false.

In 2008, President Kufuor, when President of the Republic, supported fully my bid to become president of our country and gave me his unstinting assistance. Likewise, in 2012, the support I received from him was unflinching, as it was during the entire course of the now famous election petition. It remains my firm conviction that his two-term government, in which I had the privilege to serve as Attorney General and Foreign Minister, has been the best government this country has had, and I am proud to have been a member of it. Never has there been a point in time where our former President has done anything detrimental to me, as a person, or to the party with me as its presidential candidate. As far as the 2016 election is concerned, President Kufuor has made it clear to all and sundry that he does not support any particular candidate and will work to help whoever emerges from the presidential primary as the party’s candidate.

These false allegations do not bode well for our internal cohesion as a party, and I plead with all members who have been fed with these untruths to desist from propagating them any further. Such unguarded pronouncements could give our opponents comfort from their non-performance.

I am compelled to inform the public that President Kufuor and I remain in regular communication with each other, and I make it a point to visit him every week. Such actions cannot be suggestive of a fractured relationship between two colleagues.

I urge NPP faithful not to be side-tracked by such falsehoods, but remain focused, bearing in mind that the people of Ghana are looking up to us to make the necessary arrangements that will give them the confidence to trust us with the mandate to serve them once again.

……signed……

Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo

No comments:

Post a Comment