04 March 2014

Ghana Striking air traffic controllers accused of bad faith.

 
Ghana Transport Minister, Dzifa Attivor has accused striking air traffic controllers at the Kotoka International Airport of bad faith. The traffic controllers have refused to work until some managerial issues are resolved.

This has compelled domestic airline operators to ground their flights, leaving several passengers stranded at the Accra, Kumasi, Tamale, Takoradi and Sunyani airports. At a brief interaction with the media this morning, the Minister expressed regret over the actions of the air traffic controllers.

She explained that she had been in touch with leaders of the air traffic controllers in an attempt to resolve their grievances but pleaded with them to give her one week only for them to withdraw their services.

"I invited them to my house and had discussions with them. You can see I am working on your issues. You can see that I am working on your issue. The ministry is not just sitting down unconcerned.

"I expected you to wait for me as I requested that I was going to be away for one week and that you should wait for me until I returned but you didn't show good faith. I must be honest with you," she lamented.

It is not clear yet when the striking air controllers will resume work but the Director General of the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority, Air Commodore Nana Kwame Manphey told Joy FM they have put contingency plans in place to ameliorate the impact of the strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment